Sunday, August 19, 2012
Plums and Fowl
Summer Sunday Roast
A recipe for when plums are in season. Guinea fowl (evocatively named faraona, or she-pharaoh, in Italian) has less fat than chicken and more flavour.
1 guinea fowl (for 2-3 people)
dark plums (pitted and diced)
red onions (diced)
rosemary or thyme
olive oil; salt and pepper
1. Clean the guinea fowl (or buy without giblets)
2. Combine all the other ingredients in a mixing bowl; use olive oil to add moisture and amalgamate
3. Slide stuffing into cavity of the guinea fowl; insert some under the breast skin to protect meat
4. Season the bird with olive oil, salt and pepper
5. Cover top with foil and place in an oven at low heat (160 degrees C or 320 F) for 1 hour and 30 minutes
Two guinea fowl serve four with enough for left-overs. Serve with roast vegetables or a green salad.